Baked Spinach Gnocci
An easy-to-make version of this classic Italian delicacy
What You'll Need:
- 1 very large bunch spinach
- 1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 2 T chopped parsley
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 T all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- extra flour for shaping gnocchi
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam or cook spinach briefly until tender. Drain well and chop fine. You should have 1 generous cup.
- Thoroughly combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, parsley, scallion, lemon juice, egg yolk, flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into little logs about 2 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. If sticky, sprinkle them lightly with additional flour. Place on a waxed paper or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Cook the gnocchi in batches by carefully dropping them a few at a time into a large pot of gently boiling water. When they are cooked they will rise to the top - this just takes several minutes.
- Transfer them with a slotted spoon to a greased baking dish, laying them side by side in a single layer. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake 10 minutes or until well heated through and lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of Renee's. For more great garden-inspired recipes, see Renee's books, Recipes from a Kitchen Garden and More Recipes from a Kitchen Garden.