White Chili and Chicken
This is one of the best, easiest and most delicious chilis for the season! Enjoy!
What You'll Need:
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts
- 3 green peppers
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 jalapeños, finely chopped (if you have someone who can't handle spicy, skip these and serve the chili with a hot sauce instead).
- 1 package of mushrooms
- 3 cans white navy beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter (do not use margarine)
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, grated
Step by Step:
- In a large stock pot, bring 1 cup of water to a boil; add 2 cups chicken stock , 1 teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of cumin, and the cans of navy beans (do not drain).
- Bring all of that to a boil and put the burner on simmer.
- Chop 3 green peppers and onion into bite-sized pieces.
- Finely chop jalapeños (remember the heat comes from the membrane around the seeds; if you want less heat, discard the seeds)
- Chop the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and, in a separate skillet, brown until done.
- Add the mushrooms, green peppers, jalapeños and onion to the stock pot. After the chicken has cooked and is done, add that to the stock pot.
- Add the 2 cups of chicken stock.
- In a separate skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of butter; add 4 tablespoons of flour and stir well (you are making a roux to thicken the chili). After the roux has been cooked through (do not brown, just cook for 2 minutes on medium), add to the stock pot.
- Stir till combined completely. Raise the heat to medium and allow to thicken.
- Gradually add 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of bowls when serving.