Featured Recipe: Zinfandel-Braised Beef Short Ribs with Rosemary-Parsnip Mashed Potatoes
Trade in rich holiday roasts for comforting winter stews! These mouthwatering braised short ribs are the perfect antidote to a chilly, rainy evening. Cook your next favorite cold-weather dinner tonight...
- 3 tablespoons room-temperature butter, divided
- 8 3- to 4-inch-long meaty beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
- Coarse kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red onions
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled parsnips
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 750-ml bottle Zinfandel (make sure it's drinkable!)
- 2 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound large parsnips, peeled, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Large ovenproof pot
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle ribs with coarse salt and pepper.
- Add to pot in single layer and sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer ribs to large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to pot. onions; sauté until brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add parsnips; sauté until beginning to color, about 6 minutes.
- Mix in garlic, then rosemary. Add wine and broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot, arranging in single layer.
- Bring to simmer; cover and place in oven.
- Braise until ribs are very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Using tongs, transfer ribs to clean bowl.
- Spoon fat from pan juices. Boil juices until just beginning to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl to smooth paste. Whisk into juices in pot; simmer until thickened enough to coat spoon, about 5 minutes longer.
- Season gravy with coarse salt and pepper. Return ribs to pot; spoon gravy over.
- Cook potatoes and parsnips in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring milk, butter, and rosemary to simmer in small saucepan.
- Drain potato mixture and return to pot. Stir briefly over medium heat to evaporate excess moisture.
- Add milk mixture and mash well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer ribs and gravy to large shallow bowl. Serve short ribs with mashed potatoes.
Perfect Pairing: The same Zinfandel you used in the short ribs!
Simple mesclun salad with balsamic vinaigrette, pine nuts, and cracked pepper